Contractor Scientist - Drug Metabolism
One DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080
Our client is a leading biotechnology company that discovers, develops, manufactures and commercializes medicines to treat patients with serious or life-threatening medical conditions. They are among the world' s leading biotech companies, with multiple products on the market and a promising development pipeline.
- The Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) Department at Genentech is dedicated to enabling the discovery, development and commercialization of safe and effective medicines by elucidating the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and pharmacokinetic properties of small molecule drug candidates. We accomplish this through the application of state of the art technologies and sciences of bioanalysis, drug metabolism, drug transport and pharmacokinetics. The DMPK group works in close partnership with disciplines such as medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, pharmaceutical sciences, clinical pharmacology and regulatory to optimize leads, select clinical candidates, conduct preclinical development studies, support clinical evaluation and contribute to IND and NDA filings.
- The Biotransformation group is seeking a highly motivated individual to apply drug metabolism in drug design. Primary responsibilities include:
- Hands on work in metabolite identification by high-resolution LC-MS/MS and determine the biotransformation pathways of peptides and small molecules Solid understanding of drug metabolizing enzymes (e.g., CYP, hydrolyases) Design, perform and interpret drug metabolism studies with focus on characterizing metabolic pathways and soft-spots in drug discovery Develop LC-MS/MS methods for challenging molecules At advanced level, integrate metabolism information into guiding chemistry designs
- Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements:
- BS/MS/ PhD in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field with 2+ (BS/MS) or 0-3 (PhD) years of industry experience in analytical sciences.
- Strong background in organic chemistry and drug metabolism reactions. Strong skills in qualitative LC-MS/MS instrumentation and data analysis, method development and trouble-shooting. Experience with quantitative LC-MS/MS is a plus.
- Experience with high-resolution MS-based structural elucidation of unknown structures of small molecules and peptides, common chemical derivatization techniques to identify site of metabolism, and use of isotopically labeled reagents to aid the understanding of enzyme reactions. Experience with biotransformation of macrocyclic peptides, proteomics and nanospray LC-MS is a plus.
- The position requires a Ph.D. M.Sc., or B.Sc. degree in chemical, pharmaceutical, biological or other relevant science disciplines with a strong experimental metabolism background